Destructive force of nature, coming right up!
I love mages and I love Anders and if you have a problem with that, the unfollow button is in the upper right hand corner
I know I don’t talk about it much, but still. Someone else is getting hate for it and that is not okay.
Justice is righteous. Justice is hard.
So, foxghost commissioned me for a story some months back and I FINALLY finished it. She said I could share it with tumblr/AO3, so I shall post the link here for AO3.
“How.. how can anyone even bend like that?”
“Beats me Kitten.”
There was a request for Anders and Isabela, I thought I’d throw Merrill in there
hittin two birds with one stone, aw yeaah
anyways, they founds Anders’s dirty spells.
I love your expressions, succulentthighs. Anders’ face is so perfect. XD
With shipping memes growing in popularity recently and the Reverse Big Bang around the corner, I’ve been disappointed to find out that many of my followers are not fans of this pairing. In fact, some of you are downright against it, and as an author that primarily writes Fenders, this saddens me for many reasons. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - the fact that people I respect and idolize will never give my writing a chance based on pairing alone is disheartening.
Firstly, I want you to know that I have no intention of attacking anybody for their preferences in this post (or ever), but I would like to ask a small favour: Will you read what I have to say? I’d like to address some common misconceptions about the Fenders pairing that might be keeping people away.
I’ve seen a lot of people justify their dislike for this pairing by saying that “hate sex can only go so far”. I’d like to clarify that the majority of Fenders shippers do not write hate sex. Most of us write from the angle of a slowly-growing tolerance that eventually becomes something more. Believe me, the “I-hate-you-let’s-fuck” premise holds little to no water for me, either. Give us some credit.
I know what you’re thinking: But they hate each other! Do they really? By the second and third act of the game, the two of them have perfectly civil, arguably friendly conversations in party banter. In Act 2, if Anders is allowed to kill Ella, the resulting conversation between Anders and Fenris is unexpectedly kind. In the Legacy and Mark of the Assassin DLC, they openly joke with one another. Familiarity doesn’t appear to have bred contempt in their case.
If you still think they hate each other and can’t be convinced otherwise, consider that hatred is a passionate emotion. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not the opposite of love. That claim belongs to apathy. I would be less inclined to ship Fenris and Anders together if they were completely indifferent toward one another, but they are not. It can’t be denied that they have strong feelings concerning one another, whether negative or positive.
Still have a problem with the idea? If you ship Fenris/mage!Hawke, Sebris, Sebanders, Meresino, or ANY rivalmance, I see little logic in refusing to give Fenders a chance. These relationships, while primarily antagonistic, absolutely can work when written by a talented author. You may be surprised to learn that Fenders is the second-most popular DA2 slash pairing on AO3. It is not a rare ship.
If the idea of Fenris being in a relationship with a mage bothers you or seems too reminiscent of his previous life with Danarius for your liking, let’s consider something: Anders is a healer. He helps people whenever possible in the only way he knows how, and he does it out of the kindness of his heart, expecting nothing in return. He lives among the downtrodden and the unfortunate and treats them with respect. He despises the idea of people not possessing the freedom to which they should have a natural right. Do you truly believe he would treat Fenris as lesser or expect him to assume a subservient role? Do you think Fenris would allow him to do so, considering their initially combative exchanges? We know that both of them are comfortable expressing their discontent with one another. It wouldn’t happen, and if by some bizarre turn of events it somehow did, it certainly wouldn’t go unsaid or denied.
Anders and Fenris both spent the majority of their lives in captivity. They were always kept under a watchful eye, likely beaten, possibly raped, regularly insulted, degraded, and made to feel worthless. They were told their lives have no meaning and that their existence is of no consequence. They are both members of marginalized groups and at one point, were segregated from the rest of the population because of it. They share a great deal of similar experiences and have much in common. Is it not possible that they could commiserate or help each other to heal?
“What about Justice?” You’re thinking. What about Justice? The spirit is problematic, yes, but it doesn’t prevent an Anders/Hawke romance from happening if you, the player, feels so inclined. It doesn’t stop all of the fans from loving Anders as the man he is beyond his possession. Is he not endearing and worthy of love as a character even despite Justice? Is Fenris not capable of that kind of love?
If Fenris came to recognize Anders as a man rather than a mage or an abomination, then what? Would the pairing become acceptable? Is it so unreasonable that two men with such comparable pasts would come to understand one another? To care for one another? To love one another?
I don’t think it is.
If you have an open mind and are willing to try some Fenders fic, I recommend checking out AO3.
Volutions is a wonderful place to start, if a little long.
My work, Concurrence, has become quite popular. I’m proud of it and would love to share.
Check the most-kudosed works on AO3 and pick one that stands out to you.
Try the Fenders tag here on Tumblr.
For the love of God, though, please try something. This pairing warms my cold, black heart and got me writing again. They’re worth your time, I promise.
Well said! <3
I’m definitely in the camp of loathing the hate sex is the only way trope. Haaaaate it like burning because it minimizes the potential of the pairing to me. It’s an easy out to write that and be done.
I think it takes skill to write them a) well, b) convincingly and c) in a way that doesn’t skip over critical parts of their backstory. IE stories where Fenris’ past as a slave and Anders being in solitary for a year are just inconvenient and overlooked.
It’s part of what makes them, well them. They both are fucked up there’s no denying that. But where there’s a will, there’s a way and that is the glory of fan fiction y’all. Making non-canon pairings work since forever.
But you know what, don’t knock it till you try it. Or at least if you won’t try it, don’t be an unrepentant dick to people who do ship something you don’t like.
☛ GET INSIDE YOUR CHARACTER'S HEAD! aka The Excessively Detailed Headcanon Meme
- Ask a question, any question!
- (oh shooters i still have more to answer from the other meme-- I will do that too i promise!)
- 1: What does their bedroom look like?
- 2: Do they have any daily rituals?
- 3: Do they exercise, and if so, what do they do? How often?
- 4: What would they do if they needed to make dinner but the kitchen was busy?
- 5: Cleanliness habits (personal, workspace, etc.)
- 6: Eating habits and sample daily menu
- 7: Favorite way to waste time and feelings surrounding wasting time
- 8: Favorite indulgence and feelings surrounding indulging
- 9: Makeup?
- 10: Neuroses? Do they recognize them as such?
- 11: Intellectual pursuits?
- 12: Favorite book genre?
- 13: Sexual Orientation? And, regardless of own orientation, thoughts on sexual orientation in general?
- 14: Physical abnormalities? (Both visible and not, including injuries/disabilities, long-term illnesses, food-intolerances, etc.)
- 15: Biggest and smallest short term goal?
- 16: Biggest and smallest long term goal?
- 17: Preferred mode of dress and rituals surrounding dress
- 18: Favorite beverage?
- 19: What do they think about before falling asleep at night?
- 20: Childhood illnesses? Any interesting stories behind them?
- 21: Turn-ons? Turn-offs?
- 22: Given a blank piece of paper, a pencil, and nothing to do, what would happen?
- 23: How organized are they? How does this organization/disorganization manifest in their everyday life?
- 24: Is there one subject of study that they excel at? Or do they even care about intellectual pursuits at all?
- 25: How do they see themselves 5 years from today?
- 26: Do they have any plans for the future? Any contingency plans if things don’t workout?
- 27: What is their biggest regret?
- 28: Who do they see as their best friend? Their worst enemy?
- 29: Reaction to sudden extrapersonal disaster (eg The house is on fire! What do they do?)
- 30: Reaction to sudden intrapersonal disaster (eg close family member suddenly dies)
- 31: Most prized possession?
- 32: Thoughts on material possessions in general?
- 33: Concept of home and family?
- 34: Thoughts on privacy? (Are they a private person, or are they prone to ‘TMI’?)
- 35: What activities do they enjoy, but consider to be a waste of time?
- 36: What makes them feel guilty?
- 37: Are they more analytical or more emotional in their decision-making?
- 38: What recharges them when they’re feeling drained?
- 39: Would you say that they have a superiority-complex? Inferiority-complex? Neither?
- 40: How misanthropic are they?
- 41: Hobbies?
- 42: How far did they get in formal education? What are their views on formal education vs self-education?
- 43: Religion?
- 44: Superstitions or views on the occult?
- 45: Do they express their thoughts through words or deeds?
- 46: If they were to fall in love, who (or what) is their ideal?
- 47: How do they express love?
- 48: If this person were to get into a fist fight, what is their fighting style like?
- 49: Is this person afraid of dying? Why or why not?
“Sebastian: Did something happen to you in the Circle? I understand there were problems in Ferelden…
Anders: Are you saying a mage can only be unhappy in the Circle if demons were involved? No, it’s not about Uldred.
It’s not about being beaten or raped by a templar— that does happen, but I’ve been fortunate.
It’ s a larger principle: the freedom every man, woman, and child born in Thedas have as a natural right.”
Page 1 of 25